Posting # 52509 - [ Non-Union ]
Unit Secretary, Post-Surgical Care Unit
- 1 position
Post-Surgical Care Unit
St. Joseph's Hospital - London, ON
Available for days, evenings, weekends and statutory holidays
Post-Surgical Care at the St Joseph's Hospital site comprises a 16-bay Post Anesthetic Care unit providing recovery following surgery and a 21-bed short stay surgical unit providing services for ophthalmology, urology, upper limb orthopedics, plastics, otolaryngology and interventional radiology populations. We provide pre- and post-operative care, teaching, and discharge planning with a holistic approach to patients.
The primary responsibilities of the Nursing Unit Secretary, Post Anesthetic Care Unit and Inpatient Surgical Service Unit are facilitating communication between staff, patients and families on the unit, preparing patient charts, processing patient care orders, and maintaining integrity of the Health Record chart.
- Knowledge of a Safety Culture in a Health Care Setting in compliance with the OHSA
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma, or recognized equivalent by the Province of Ontario
- Graduate of a recognized office administration/secretarial certificate program
- Minimum 2 years of related experience in a similar role
- Demonstrated computer skills with Outlook and MS Office Suite, including an intermediate level of knowledge of Word and basic Excel
- Excellent clerical skills including minimum of 40 wpm typing, medical terminology, and good spelling
- Minimum one year recent and related experience
- Demonstrated accuracy in recording patient information and knowledge of Health Records requirements and chart preparation
- Strong clerical skills including keyboarding and accurate data entry
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work both independently and as an effective team member
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment with frequent disruptions
- Ability to communicate effectively to a variety of different clients both verbally and in writing
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a proven track record dealing with clients in a fast paced clinical setting as well as a professional attitude towards assisting internal and/or external customers
Teaching and Research
- Proficiency in French would be an asset
- St. Joseph's Health Care London through its affiliation with Western University and Fanshawe College is a leading research and teaching hospital. As an employee of St. Joseph's you will be expected to engage in role related teaching and research activities in addition to any of your clinical duties
- Provide documentation you have received two doses of the Covid-19 vaccine (primary series, boosters and/or XBB) OR one dose of XBB vaccine at least 14 days prior to the start date.
- Provide vaccination records or proof of immunity against measles, mumps, rubella and varicella (chicken pox)
- Provide documentation of the Tuberculosis skin testing
Your interest in this opportunity is appreciated.
Posting date: February 06, 2024
Submission deadline: February 12, 2024
Andrew Harriman-Duke, Human Resources
Only those under consideration will be contacted.