Posting # 52410 - [ Non-Union ]
Health Records Technician, Health Information Management
- 1 position
Health Information Management
St. Joseph's Hospital - London, ON
The Health Records Technician - Release of Information works independently and is responsible for processing and responding to all releases of Personal Health Information, and coordinates the access to Personal Health Information. Analytical, critical thinking and decision-making skills are required to independently work with the various policies/process and Acts that govern the organizations, such as the Public Hospital Act, Personal Health Information and Privacy Act, Health Care Consent Act, Substitute Decision Makers Act, Workplace Safety & Insurance Act, etc. Strict adherence to the above acts is crucial, understanding the risks associated with unauthorized release resulting in breaches to the patient's privacy; consultation required for case sensitive issues with Privacy Office and Risk Management office. Disclosure of information occurs based on implied consent, express consent, and mandatory disclosure and the Health Records Technician must apply their knowledge of legislative requirements and any requests from the patient for restrictions in their response to each request.
The position completes requests using Cerner's AccessHIM to measure and uphold the mandatory response time identified in PHIPA, the monthly reporting of releases, and reporting to the Privacy Commissioner. This position is responsible for providing leadership and training to department staff, ensuring adherence to legislated and departmental processes for release of urgent medical information. The HIM professional is a resource to all areas within the organization in matters pertaining to release of information. Clear, accurate and professional communication skills are crucial to interact with both internal and external customers.
- Graduate of a recognized Health Information Management Diploma program
- Certified member with the Canadian Health Information Management Association (CHIMA)
- Knowledge of privacy and related legislation as it applies to Release of Information required
- Knowledge of chart documentation and requirements for legal releases
- Demonstrated computer skills with computerized patient information systems such as Cerner, AccessHIM, database software, Outlook, Inter/Intranet as well as intermediate level of knowledge in Microsoft Office
- Detail oriented and demonstrated accuracy with the work involved
- Ability to handle highly confidential information
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills along with a strong customer focus
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and on a team
- Knowledge of a Safety Culture in a Health Care Setting in compliance with the OHSA
Teaching and Research
- Minimum one-year recent related job experience
- Proficiency in French would be an asset
- St. Joseph's Health Care London through its affiliation with Western University and Fanshawe College is a leading research and teaching hospital. As an employee of St. Joseph's you will be expected to engage in role related teaching and research activities in addition to any of your clinical duties
- Provide documentation you have received two doses of the Covid-19 vaccine (primary series, boosters and/or XBB) OR one dose of XBB vaccine at least 14 days prior to the start date.
- Provide vaccination records or proof of immunity against measles, mumps, rubella and varicella (chicken pox)
- Provide documentation of the Tuberculosis skin testing
Your interest in this opportunity is appreciated.
Posting date: February 08, 2024
Submission deadline: February 21, 2024
Wade Baillie, Human Resources
Only those under consideration will be contacted.