Posting # 52329 - [ OPSEU Paramed ]
Therapeutic Recreation Specialist, Oxford ACT
- 1 position
Parkwood Institute Mental Health Care - London, ON
Temporary Full Time
Location: 35 Metcalf St., Woodstock
Temporary position anticipated to extend until August 8, 2025, subject to the availability of work
Using the principles of client centered and recovery oriented care within the context of an interdisciplinary team approach, the successful candidate will provide comprehensive, community based, assessment/ rehabilitation/ treatment to clients with serious mental illness.
- Knowledge of a Safety Culture in a Health Care Setting in compliance with the OHSA
- University Degree in Recreation and Leisure Studies with a Therapeutic Recreation focus or University Degree in
- Human Sciences or Services with a Post Graduate Diploma in Therapeutic Recreation
- Current membership with Therapeutic Recreation of Ontario (TRO)
- Demonstrated ability to assess, plan, and implement a personalized approach to service delivery within the guidelines of the Therapeutic Recreation Service Delivery Model in accordance with TRO standards of practice
- Knowledge of the Mental Health Act and other relevant legislation
- Knowledge, skills and recent experience in providing assessment, treatment and rehabilitation of individuals with serious mental illness
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in applying the principles of psychosocial rehabilitation
- Demonstrated knowledge of the ACT model of care and the Ontario ACT Standards
- Demonstrated knowledge of the theory and skills needed to provide services using a recovery oriented approach to mental health care
- Knowledge of psychotropic medications, symptom management and their impact in providing therapeutic recreation interventions
- In depth knowledge of major mental illness from a biopsychosocial perspective
- Experience in crisis intervention
- Experience in the development of teaching materials and the teaching of patients, family and caregivers
- Must be capable of establishing positive interpersonal relationships and able to work as an effective team member
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational, critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Proven flexibility and a high level of initiative
- Travel within the catchment area is required
Teaching and Research
- Proficiency in French would be an asset.
- Minimum of 2 years experience as a therapeutic recreation professional
- Knowledge of Oxford social and health services network
- Experience in mental health
- St Joseph's Health Care London through its affiliation with Western University and Fanshawe College is a leading research and teaching hospital. As an employee of St Joseph's you will be expected to engage in role related teaching and research activities in addition to any of your clinical duties
- Provide documentation you have received two doses of the Covid-19 vaccine (primary series, boosters and/or XBB) OR one dose of XBB vaccine at least 14 days prior to the start date.
- Provide vaccination records or proof of immunity against measles, mumps, rubella and varicella (chicken pox)
- Provide documentation of the Tuberculosis skin testing
Your interest in this opportunity is appreciated.
Posting date: February 06, 2024
Submission deadline: February 12, 2024
Stacy Kearns, Human Resources
Only those under consideration will be contacted.