Registered Practical Nurse, Adult Inpatient Mental Health Short Stay Stabilization Unit G5
- 1 position
Adult Inpatient Mental Health Short Stay Stabilization Unit G5
Parkwood Institute Mental Health Care - London, ON
Parkwood Institute Mental Health is an organization that provides specialized mental health care to individuals living with mental illnesses on both an inpatient and outpatient basis. In addition to providing direct care to individuals living with mental illness, the organization is also actively involved in the education of future clinicians and in advancing the research knowledge base. Our work is guided by a recovery-oriented philosophy of care as well as the utilization of treatment and rehabilitation interventions that are based on the best available evidence of their effectiveness to assist individuals in pursuing their life goals. We believe in supporting both the client and their family/friends throughout their recovery journey utilizing a set of principles and values that emphasize client choice, the provision of a range of services to meet treatment, rehabilitation and support needs, and a commitment from mental health services professionals to achieve the best possible outcomes for clients based on their stated preferences, wishes, and desires.
The Short Stay Stabilization Unit offers crisis intervention, assessment, and stabilization for people with severe and persistent mental illness with a focus on short term treatment and collaborative care with family physicians and other community providers. Using the principles of client centered care within the context of an interdisciplinary team approach, the successful candidate will provide nursing care to clients who experience Depression, Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, and other mental illnesses Optimal length of stay in our program is 14 days.
It is understood that the hours of work reflect the current scheduling arrangements and are subject to change as determined by the Employer.
- Current certificate of competence with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Valid CPR certificate
- Knowledge of a Safety Culture in a Health Care Setting in compliance with the OHSA
- Ability and commitment to act as a supervisor under OHSA
- Proficiency and experience in pharmacology and medication administration
- Strong working knowledge of the Mental Health Act
- Must be capable of establishing positive interpersonal relationships and able to work as an effective team member
- Ability to coordinate care collaboratively with the Registered Nurse and other interdisciplinary team members as well as to function independently with clients with a predictable outcome
- Demonstrated ability to apply and document the nursing process
- Ability to relate therapeutically with clients
- Demonstrated skills in effectively responding to psychiatric and physical emergencies and/or crisis situations
- Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated flexibility and strong organizational skills
- Ability to apply effective body mechanics and meet the physical demands of the position
Teaching and Research
- Proficiency in French would be an asset
- Experience working in mental health
- Experience working with people with an addiction
- Experience working with clients with an intellectual disability
- St. Joseph's Health Care London through its affiliation with Western University and Fanshawe College is a leading research and teaching hospital. As an employee of St. Joseph's you will be expected to engage in role related teaching and research activities in addition to any of your clinical duties
- Provide documentation you have received two doses of the Covid-19 vaccine and a written commitment to follow any future Public Health recommendations and St. Joseph's Health Care London policies and processes related to Covid management in the workplace
- Provide vaccination records or proof of immunity against measles, mumps, rubella and varicella (chicken pox)
- Provide documentation of the Tuberculosis skin testing
Posting date: March 13, 2023
Submission deadline: March 19, 2023
Peter Kronenberg, Human Resources
Your interest in this opportunity is appreciated.
Only those under consideration will be contacted.