Social Worker (MSW), Medicine Services
- 1 position
St. Joseph's Hospital - London, ON
Temporary Full Time
**Temporary employment anticipated to extend until March 22, 2024, subject to the availability of work***
Medicine Services at St. Josephs is seeking a social worker to provide comprehensive mental health assessment, intervention and treatment for our patients living with chronic disease in the Rheumatology Clinic and Chronic Pain Management Program. Our outpatient chronic disease ambulatory care clinics work with patients to develop strategies to support resilience, self-care and mental wellness. Working in partnership with a psychologist as well as a multidisciplinary team, the Social Worker will use strong clinical skills/expertise to support patient chronic disease self-management and health behavior change. The Social Worker is expected to provide comprehensive clinical interventions including large group education / workshops, patient triage and assessment, brief psychotherapy (individual and group), and to assist patients in developing tangible skills to manage their chronic disease. Important components of the role also include program development, community liaison, and collaboration with social service and health/mental health care organizations in supporting patients. The Social Worker will provide support to and advocate on behalf of patients and their family, as well as collaborate with the multi-disciplinary team on the care needs of patients. The Social Worker will look at social determinants of health that impact the ability of the patient and family to participate in their care and self-management of their chronic health condition.
In addition to highly developed and specialized clinical knowledge and skills, the social worker possesses the ability to work effectively in an inter-professional team, with a non-judgmental, respectful and reflective approach to practice.
- Valid registration with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers as a Registered Social Worker
- Master of Social Work
- Minimum 5 years clinical experience working with individuals with chronic health conditions
- Knowledge of a Safety Culture in a Health Care Setting in compliance with the OHSA
- Demonstrated experience and competence in delivering the full range of clinical social work services with an outcome-oriented approach
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in delivering evidence-based social work therapeutic interventions to a diverse client population. Expertise in CBT, DBT, ACT and/or mindfulness-based therapies.
- Demonstrated strength in written/verbal communication and case management
- Proficient computer skills with a variety of programs including virtual care
- Comprehensive knowledge of and ability to mobilize community resources
- Strong advocacy, conflict management and facilitation skills
- Highly developed interpersonal and problem-solving skills as well as the ability to function effectively independently and within a multi-disciplinary team
- Excellent organizational, time management and communication
- Knowledge of relevant legislation
Teaching and Research
- Proficiency in French would be an asset
- St. Joseph's Health Care London through its affiliation with Western University and Fanshawe College is a leading research and teaching hospital. As an employee of St. Joseph's you will be expected to engage in role related teaching and research activities in addition to any of your clinical duties
- Provide documentation you have received two doses of the Covid-19 vaccine and a written commitment to follow any future Public Health recommendations and St. Joseph's Health Care London policies and processes related to Covid management in the workplace.
- Provide vaccination records or proof of immunity against measles, mumps, rubella and varicella (chicken pox)
- Provide documentation of the Tuberculosis skin testing
Posting date: February 28, 2023
Submission deadline: March 06, 2023
Michelle Robertson, Human Resources
Your interest in this opportunity is appreciated.
Only those under consideration will be contacted.