Posting # 48516 - [ Non-Union ]
Research Associate / Data Analyst, Lawson Health Research Institute
- 1 position
Lawson Health Research Institute
Parkwood Institute Main - London, ON
Temporary Full Time
** Temporary position, anticipated to extend until June 19, 2023, subject to the availability of work.
About the Research Centre
Located at the Parkwood Institute (Lawson Health Research Institute) in London, Ontario, the MacDonald Franklin Operational Stress Injury Research Centre (MFOSIRC) conducts innovative research in military and Veteran mental health. The Centre’s primary mission is to conduct innovative, timely and actionable research, in an engaging environment, to solve emerging mental health challenges of Military members, Veterans and their families.
Through mental health research and innovation, training and education, and knowledge sharing, the Research Centre is committed to improving the well-being of Veterans, Military members, and their families.
Job Summary and Responsibilities
The MacDonald Franklin Operational Stress Injury Research Centre (MFOSIRC) is inviting applications for a 12-month contract position for a data scientist / research associate (1.0 FTE; 37.5 hours/week). The position may be extended for an additional year by mutual agreement and funding availability.
The successful candidate will work under the direction of Dr. J. Don Richardson and senior level research team. This position will assist the MFOSIRC by applying appropriate statistical and analytical methods to observational and experimental data, while ensuring reproducibility. The successful candidate must be highly skilled and experienced with all aspects of data analysis, including data cleaning and management, statistical analysis (i.e., predictive and explanatory modeling), and data visualization.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Biostatistics, or equivalent qualification/work experience will be considered
- 3+ years’ experience analyzing data as a data analyst
- Knowledge of advanced statistical analysis concepts and techniques and how to apply them to data
- Understanding of machine learning and data visualization techniques
- Requires excellent interpersonal, supervisory, organizational and planning skills to work effectively in a high functioning environment and have the ability to deal with confidential matters.
- Prior experience with database and model design and segmentation techniques
- Practical experience with common data science tools such as R, Python, and SPSS, and knowledge of HTML, CSS, SQL and Git
- Technical writing experience in relevant areas, including queries, reports, and presentations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Ability to communicate effectively general and scientific information both verbally and in writing at all levels;
- Ability to work independently and make decisions. Good judgement, initiative, tact and professional attitude in the workplace;
- A desire to learn new tools and techniques
- Proven success in a collaborative, team-oriented environment
- Adaptable, flexible and resourceful.
- Ability to manage competing tasks and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of a Safety Culture in a Health Care Setting in compliance with the OHSA
Objectives of this Role*
- Experience working in an academic/research environment
- Familiarity with national, international and provincial research funding agencies/ organizations that fund research would be a strong asset.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and work in teams, e.g. including faculty, staff, students and residents;
Teaching and Research
- Develop, implement, and maintain leading-edge analytic systems, taking complicated problems and building simple frameworks
- Identify trends and opportunities for growth through analysis of complex data sets
- Create best-practice reports based on data mining, analysis, and visualization
- Evaluate internal systems for efficiency, problems, and inaccuracies, developing and maintaining protocols for handling, processing, and cleaning data
Maintenance of Certification:
- St. Joseph's Health Care London through its affiliation with Western University and Fanshawe College is a leading research and teaching hospital. As an employee of St. Joseph's you will be expected to engage in role related teaching and research activities in addition to any of your clinical duties. The incumbent will maintain certification required by Lawson Health Research Institute, SJHC and study-specific requirements.
- The incumbent attains and maintains certification in: TCPS2, SOP for Clinical Research.
- Provide documentation you have received two doses of the Covid-19 vaccine and a written commitment to follow any future Public Health recommendations and St. Joseph's Health Care London policies and processes related to Covid management in the workplace
- Provide vaccination records or proof of immunity against measles, mumps, rubella and varicella (chicken pox)
- Provide documentation of the Tuberculosis skin testing
Posting date: June 10, 2022
Submission deadline: June 23, 2022
Julie Neilans, Human Resources
Your interest in this opportunity is appreciated.
Only those under consideration will be contacted.