Unit Secretary, PACU
- 1 position
St. Joseph's Hospital - London, ON
Regular Part Time
The Post Anesthetic Care Unit (PACU) at the St. Joseph's Hospital site is a 16 bay unit providing recovery following surgery for our ophthalmology, urology, upper limb orthopedics, plastics, ENT and interventional radiology populations. In addition to providing post-surgery care, the PACU supports Step-Up capacity for inpatients requiring a higher level of care and is part of the Medical Emergency Response Team for the facility. The primary responsibilities of the Nursing Unit Secretary in PACU are facilitating communication between staff, patients and families on the unit, and providing clerical support to the PACU team. The successful candidate will be customer service forced, have excellent communication skills and thrive as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Knowledge of a Safety Culture in a Health Care Setting in compliance with the OHSA
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma or recognized equivalent by the Province of Ontario
- Graduate of a recognized medical secretarial or medical office assistant certificate program
- Minimum of 2 years recent and related experience in a clinic or nursing unit setting
- Demonstrated computer skills with email software programs and the Internet as well as an intermediate level of knowledge of Microsoft Word, basic Excel and Power Point
- Experience with Clinical Application including Power Chart and SurgiNet
- Accurate typing skills of 40 words per minute and transcription skills
- Medical terminology and excellent spelling
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in an interdisciplinary team setting
- Demonstrated understanding of the principles of privacy and confidentiality
- Excellent communication organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload
- Strong customer service focus
- Willingness to accept direction and be able to take initiative appropriately
- Detail-oriented with the ability to establish and balance competing priorities in a challenging and changing work environment
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team setting
Teaching and Research
- Proficiency in French would be an asset.
- Previous experience as a nursing unit secretary
- Scheduling experience
- Previous experience with Workbrain
- St. Joseph's Health Care London through its affiliation with Western University and Fanshawe College is a leading research and teaching hospital. As an employee of St. Joseph's you will be expected to engage in role related teaching and research activities in addition to any of your clinical duties
- Provide documentation you have received two doses of the Covid-19 vaccine and a written commitment to follow any future Public Health recommendations and St. Joseph's Health Care London policies and processes related to Covid management in the workplace.
- Provide vaccination records or proof of immunity against measles, mumps, rubella and varicella (chicken pox)
- Provide documentation of the Tuberculosis skin testing
Posting date: May 13, 2022
Submission deadline: May 19, 2022
Jennifer Pasichnyk, Human Resources
Your interest in this opportunity is appreciated.
Only those under consideration will be contacted.