Posting # 46537 - [ ONA ]
Registered Nurse, Operational Stress Injury Clinic
- 1 position
Operational Stress Injury Clinic
Operational Stress Injury Clinic - Toronto, ON
Temporary Full Time
*** REPOSTED ***
Temporary position anticipated to extend until October 2, 2023, subject to the availability of work
The primary location for this position is within the Greater Toronto Area.
Parkwood GTA Services
5000 Yonge Street
Suite 1401, Floor 14
Toronto, ON M2N 7E9
The Operational Stress Injury Clinic is part of the Veterans Care Program and a larger network of clinics across Canada and is designed to provide ambulatory services to veterans, members of the Canadian Forces and the RCMP experiencing psychological difficulties as a result of their military deployment. St. Joseph's Operational Stress Injury Clinic is responsible for service provision across a geographic region including Southwestern Ontario, the Greater Toronto area and portions of Central Ontario. The successful candidate will work primarily in Toronto; however some travel to other satellite locations may be required.
You will provide quality care and work within a comprehensive interdisciplinary team. Knowledge in the areas of assessment and treatment of mental, emotional and behavioural disorders and conditions for those who are referred to the clinic as a result of operational stress injuries is essential. A good understanding of military culture would be beneficial. An operational stress injury can impact the entire family; therefore familiarity and comfort in working with spouses, children, and adolescents, as well as other family members is important.
The role necessitates effective communication and collaboration with Veterans Affairs Canada, health services staff within the Department of National Defense and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, family physicians, other community partners as well as Operational Stress Injury Support [OSISS] partners.
- Valid registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Valid CPR certificate
- Knowledge of a Safety Culture in a Health Care Setting in compliance with the OHSA
- Demonstrated knowledge, skills and recent experience in assessment, treatment and rehabilitation of individuals with mental health disorders including PTSD, depression and anxiety disorders
- Demonstrated experience in coordinating comprehensive client care including external care providers
- Knowledge of the Mental Health Act and relevant mental health legislation
- Must be capable of establishing positive interpersonal relationships with clients and to work as an effective team member
- Excellent communication skills -both verbal and written
- Demonstrated computer experience including computerized patient care system, Microsoft Office Suite and e-mail
- Excellent organizational, critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Ability to apply effective body mechanics and to meet physical demands of the position
- Travel within the catchment area is required
- Flexibility to travel between clinic sites
- Recent experience in mental health; outpatient/ambulatory mental health specifically
Teaching and Research
- Proficiency in French would be an asset
- Certified in, or in process of completing courses toward the certificate in Canadian Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing
- HUGO training, proficiency in data entry of medications & allergies preferred
- Knowledge of psychotropic medications and symptom management
- Experience working with individuals, groups and families
- Knowledge of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and Motivational Interviewing treatment interventions
- Experience with substance use and chronic pain syndromes
- Experience in development of teaching materials for clients, family and community partners.
- Demonstrated understanding of the Canadian Military and RCMP culture
- St. Joseph's Health Care London through its affiliation with Western University and Fanshawe College is a leading research and teaching hospital. As an employee of St. Joseph's, you will be expected to engage in role related teaching and research activities in addition to any of your clinical duties
- Provide documentation you have received two doses of the Covid-19 vaccine and a written commitment to follow any future Public Health recommendations and St. Joseph's Health Care London policies and processes related to Covid management in the workplace.
- Provide vaccination records or proof of immunity against measles, mumps, rubella and varicella (chicken pox)
- Provide documentation of the Tuberculosis skin testing
Posting date: November 10, 2021
Submission deadline: December 07, 2021
Stacy Kearns, Human Resources
Your interest in this opportunity is appreciated.
Only those under consideration will be contacted.