Registered Practical Nurse, Surgical Day Care Unit
- 2 positions
Surgical Day Care Unit
St. Joseph's Hospital - London, ON
St. Joseph's Hospital is a unique ambulatory hospital specializing in minimally invasive same day and short stay inpatient surgery.
21,000 surgeries are performed a year at St. Joseph's, with most patients going home the same day as their procedure. Our surgical programs and areas of service include: The Ivey Eye Institute (cataract, retina and corneal transplant surgery), St. Joseph's Breast Care Program (breast and reconstructive plastic surgery), The Roth McFarlane Hand and Upper Limb Centre (arthroscopic and arthroplasty surgery), St. Joseph's Urology Centre (laser and minimally invasive robotic surgery), Otolaryngology (ear, nose, throat, head, face and neck surgery), gynecological surgery, dental and general surgery.
We require a skilled Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) to work as part of the interdisciplinary team in Surgical Day Care Unit. Your expertise will support the preparation and recovery of patients coming to St Joseph?s for a surgical procedure requiring one day care and/or same day admission on the day of surgery including providing them with necessary education to manage their recovery.
The unit is a fast paced and provides pre and postoperative care to up to 60 patients per day.
Teaching and Research
- Current Registration as a Registered Practical Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- One year recent adult acute surgical experience in the last 3 years or one year recent surgical day care experience in the last 3 years.
- Proficiency and experience in pharmacology and medication administration
- Knowledge of a Safety Culture in a Health Care Setting in compliance with the OHSA
- Valid CPR certificate
- Successful completion of a nursing competency test
- Excellent decision making, critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload
- A commitment to professional development
- St. Joseph's Health Care London through its affiliation with Western University and Fanshawe College is a leading research and teaching hospital. As an employee of St. Joseph's you will be expected to engage in role related teaching and research activities in addition to any of your clinical duties
- Provide vaccination records or proof of immunity against measles, mumps rubella and varicella (chicken pox)
- Provide documentation of the Tuberculosis skin testing
Posting date: July 16, 2021
Submission deadline: July 22, 2021
Jennifer Pasichnyk, Human Resources
Your interest in this opportunity is appreciated.
Only those under consideration will be contacted.