Unit Secretary, Inpatient Surgical Services
- 1 position
Inpatient Surgical Services
St. Joseph's Hospital - London, ON
Regular Part Time
*** REPOSTED ***
Available for days, evenings, weekends
Inpatient Surgical Services provides care with an Inter professional team approach and includes the following team members: nursing, non regulated health care workers, unit secretaries, respiratory therapists, , occupational therapist, physiotherapist, social worker, dietitian, spiritual care team, and on site CCAC staff.
Our Adult Short Stay Surgical Unit is fast paced with a high patient turnover. We provide pre and post operative care, teaching, and discharge planning with a holistic approach to patients under the following services: ENT, Plastics, Orthopedics, Ophthalmology, Gynecology, Dentistry and Urology.
The primary responsibilities of the Unit Secretary, Inpatient Surgical Services are facilitating communication between staff, patients and families on the unit, preparing patient charts, processing patient care orders, and maintaining integrity of the Health Record chart.
- Knowledge of a Safety Culture in a Health Care Setting in compliance with the OHSA
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma, or recognized equivalent by the Province of Ontario
- Graduate of a recognized office administration/secretarial certificate program
- Demonstrated computer skills with Outlook and MS Office Suite, including an intermediate level of knowledge of Word and basic Excel
- Excellent clerical skills including minimum of 40 wpm typing, medical terminology, and good spelling
- Minimum one year recent and related experience
- Experience processing physician's orders involving coordinating multiple tests & appointments
- Demonstrated accuracy in recording patient information and knowledge of Health Records requirements and chart preparation
- Strong clerical skills including keyboarding and accurate data entry
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work both independently and as an effective team member
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment with frequent disruptions
- Ability to communicate effectively to a variety of different clients both verbally and in writing
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a proven track record dealing with clients in a fast paced clinical setting as well as a professional attitude towards assisting internal and/or external customers
Teaching and Research
- Proficiency in French would be an asset
- Experience and proficiency with scheduling protocols for nursing and other unionized groups
- Experience with the workbrain payroll system
- St. Joseph's Health Care London through its affiliation with Western University and Fanshawe College is a leading research and teaching hospital. As an employee of St. Joseph's you will be expected to engage in role related teaching and research activities in addition to any of your clinical duties
- Provide vaccination records or proof of immunity against measles, mumps rubella and varicella (chicken pox)
- Provide documentation of the Tuberculosis skin testing
Posting date: April 07, 2021
Submission deadline: April 13, 2021
Jennifer Pasichnyk, Human Resources
Your interest in this opportunity is appreciated.
Only those under consideration will be contacted.