Posting # 43769 - [ UNIFOR ]
Registered Practical Nurse, Mental Health
- 3 positions
Geriatric Psychiatry - G2, H2
Parkwood Institute Mental Health Care - London, ON
*** REPOSTED ***
The Geriatric Psychiatry Program has adopted the Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Recovery Model as its overarching philosophical framework. This philosophy is built on a set of principles and values that emphasize client and family involvement in decision making, client choice, the provision of a range of services to meet treatment, rehabilitation and support needs, it also includes a commitment from mental health services professionals to achieving the best possible outcomes for clients based on their stated preferences, wishes, desires and life plans.
The Geriatric Psychiatry Program serves patients with severe and persistent mental illness with responsive behaviours and co-morbid medical conditions. H2 (Behavioural Health Unit) provides consultation, assessment and treatment for persons with moderate to advanced dementia with responsive behaviours. G2 (Geriatric Mental Health unit) provides consultation, assessment and treatment for persons with severe and persistent mental illness.
It is understood that the hours of work reflect the current scheduling arrangements and are subject to change as determined by the Employer.
(flexibility to work all shifts as required)
- Current certificate of competence with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Valid CPR certificate
- Knowledge of and commitment to the application of psychosocial rehabilitation and recovery framework
- Knowledge of a Safety Culture in a Health Care Setting in compliance with the OHSA
- Demonstrate experience in establishing positive interpersonal relationships and able to work as an effective team member
- Demonstrated ability to apply and document the nursing process
- Ability to develop therapeutic relationships with this patient population and their families
- Proficiency and experience in Pharmacology and medication administration
- Experience and knowledge of the special needs of the geriatric patient with severe and persistent mental illness with responsive behaviours and co-morbid medical conditions
- Strong working knowledge of the Mental Health legislation
- Experience, knowledge and well developed assessment and evaluation skills, of the special needs of the geriatric patient with severe and persistent mental illness with responsive behaviours and co-morbid medical conditions
- Demonstrated attention to ensuring a safe work environment for self, patients and others
- Ability to work collaboratively with regulated and non-regulated members of the inter-professional team
- Demonstrated leadership in the initiation, coordination of, and participation in team/family conferences and clinical activities
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to apply effective body mechanics and meet the physical demands of the position which includes heavy lifting, bending, standing, walking, pushing, pulling
Teaching and Research
- Proficiency in French would be an asset
- Experience working in mental health or geriatrics
- GPA training and an understanding of the PIECES framework
- St. Joseph's Health Care London through its affiliation with Western University and Fanshawe College is a leading research and teaching hospital. As an employee of St. Joseph's you will be expected to engage in role related teaching and research activities in addition to any of your clinical duties
- Provide vaccination records or proof of immunity against measles, mumps, rubella and varicella (chicken pox)
- Provide documentation of the Tuberculosis skin testing
Posting date: January 07, 2021
Submission deadline: January 13, 2021
Patricia Melo, Human Resources
Your interest in this opportunity is appreciated.
Only those under consideration will be contacted.